Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Music Therapy Part 2




Did you do your assignment? Did you think about a song? Did you write in your journal? Or did you just read my last post and think "Hmm... Interesting." Or maybe "Hmm... that's kind of dumb. Who has time for that?

If you will allow me to beat the dead horse, I will share with you a small portion of what prompted the last post. As some of you may know, my son's language skills did not progress at anywhere near a standard progression as he was learning the rudiments of language. But a funny thing happened. We discovered that if we sang a song to him, he could learn a word much more easily than otherwise. So that was one reason my mind was on the topic of music therapy. But there was another.

So I'm on my lunch hour listening to my Shuffle (yes, you can reference my other recent post if you like) and this song comes on with the lyric "Jesus, you're all I need." Etcetera, etcetera. Frankly, I wasn't in the mood. I just snapped back to no one in particular, "No, that isn't quite right. I need more than that. I need food to eat. I need a place to live. I need clothes to wear. I need a permanent job that actually has decent health insurance. So, that song really doesn't quite express it correctly. I need MORE than simply Jesus.

Next song.

Psalm 63.

"Thy lovingkindness is better than life. My soul shall be satisfied. My soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee."

And I simply broke down and had to acknowledge the Truth of the words in the previous song. There really wasn't any need for my bad attitude about what I needed or what I thought I needed. His Grace is sufficient for me.

So when you are feeling like you don't know if your musical talent has a purpose, if you wonder whether it makes a difference because you sure don't see anybody worshiping . . . you never know when the words to that song you sang for a special last Wednesday night will catch someone unawares, and be the blessing that they need, not just to survive another day, but to rejoice in the glory of His presence forevermore.

It's all the rage to be critical of Apostolic musicians who get too full of themselves and not full enough of God. They no longer see the source of the music, but they see themselves as the source. They will not go far. But those musicians who humble themselves . . . we often do not praise them enough for fear they will get a big head.

Say "thanks" to your praise team this week. Give the soloist an extra pat on the back and say "Well done, thou good and faithful servant."

Consider the poor unnamed harpist from 2 Kings 3:15. Elisha was in a mood. He wasn't one to be trifled with. But before he could hear from God, Elisha needed to hear a soothing song.

No comments:

Post a Comment